Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #930
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Race To the World Tour Finals
Post-Wimbledon Edition

In

John Hart - 10,110
Brian Meikeljohn - 6,150

I'll be shocked if these two don't stay 1-2 through the year's end. Neither did jack at the USO last year, and I wouldn't bet on that continuing. I'm hoping against hope that our new second fiddle manages things well - I'd like to see what he can do with this position.

Probable

Ali Solberg - 4095
Seamus Hughes - 4065
Isa Solheim - 3290
Mike Rhodes - 3220

Right now, Solberg and Hughes are the clear choices to fill out the Top 4. The pride of Sweden is the tour's most consistent performer, while the brilliant grass results of Ireland's no. 2 gave him a Wimbledon final and the title in Halle to bolster his resume. That could be a very close race.

The second quartet to reach the WTF have a lot more work remaining for themselves. Solheim and Rhodes have the edge right now, but neither has particularly great prospects for adding to their totals, as both rely significantly on clay. Esp. Rhodes.

Contenders

Sushant Chiba - 2945
Barry Molyneaux - 2820
---------------------------
Nicolas Perez - 2760
Valery Stachovsky - 2575

Look at all this! Lest you think I've exaggerated Chiba's struggles, the player who has spent most of the year at #2 is in serious danger of not even qualifying. That would be a horrifying, humiliating turn of events, but it's far from out of the question. Rising young Perez will have plenty of chances to gain ground, Stachovsky's serve always makes him a threat and he could finish strong at Paris, while Molyneaux will have a partisan fan advantage at Cincinatti and the USO to make use of. You can make an argument for any two of this quartet to make it for sure.

I'm picking Perez and flip a coin between Molyneaux/Chiba. He is way too good not to make it ... but once again this stuff is going to happen if he doesn't pick up the pace, and now. He's still got seeding/draw preference to the rest of the group, which gives him the advantage for now. Obviously I'll try to grind it out for him with points from the smaller events - but he's got to not faceplant on those opportunities.

Long Shots

Harald Balzer - 2135
Tim de Jong - 2075
Ollie Haas - 1975
Samuel Aas - 1865

I have a hard time seeing any of these players break through the logjam ahead of them; the real drama is taking place between the contender quartet I expect.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-29-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote