View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 04:08 AM   #981
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The final was as fine a match as there has ever been. Looking back over the Perez v. Hart series it just looks closer than it should be. On paper Hart is significantly better, but Nicolas seems to have his number a bit or something. Could be that his time will come a little sooner than I think - there'll be plenty of matches between them the next couple of years to determine that I would think. Hart's gotta be kicking himself for that third-set TB, in which he held a 6-3 lead with triple set point ... before losing the last five points in a row. Chances for both players when a match is that close, but that seemed the key moment as I happened to catch it live. You hit on most of the stuff I was going to mention, but also:

** Harald Wentz. Mentioned him a bit last year as a guy who should be ranked higher, esp. if managed better. Well, he was an unseeded QF and is 22. Should definitely make a jump. Dispatched two different mid-ranking seeds in straight sets. Four of the 16 players in R4 were not seeded. Last year same event had one. As expected, land mines all over the draw and I think it's going to take a couple years to sort it all out.

** Kasaravalli was 1-3 in Slam matches before making it to the 4R here. I had him as a modest underdog vs. Balzer, so that win was a surprise to me and was really the 'signature moment' he's been looking for. 9-7 in the 5th no less for lots of juicy XP. Probably shouldn't have won, but superior mentality saved the day. Now he'll be just above the line instead of just below it - and has to try to replace all those points from Challengers at the higher level. I expect a sloooooow ascent here, esp. over the rest of this season.

** Which didn't work out for Chiba. Patrick Sanchez isn't a terrible player, but the kind I'd still expect him to beat 80-90% of the time. And the worst part is how. Chiba has 4.4 mentality, Sanchez right on the average line at 2.5. So Sushant is broken 4 times in 5 chances. He was a bit more steady and consistent on the day but blew it at the key moments. His career was built on NOT doing that. And yeah he's going to be well outside the Top 10 now. Hasta la bye-bye to being relevant.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-25-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote