View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #1403
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Point University Invitational @ Columbus Aquatic Center - 11/19 - 20

This Friday and Saturday is a multi-team, multi-day, prelim - finals meet. Meaning the swimmers will compete in 4 sessions over 2 days. I'm not completely sure what teams will be competing in this event, but it appears the teams are:

- St. Thomas University (#3 NAIA ranked team)
- Thomas University (#11 NAIA ranked team)
- Point University (#27 NAIA ranked team)
- Berry College

Depending on how each team handles this event, it could be a very interesting meet. Most of the top swimmers in each event all have similar times. As long as there are no tapered swimmers this could be extremely fun. If one team elects to taper - then the advantage will shift significantly to their swimmers. It's a weird time of the season, typically every team will have a taper meet right before the Christmas break, so this is potentially close enough to be the taper for some of these teams. Berry has another multi-day meet coming up in a couple of weeks, and this one will feature more teams and it will be the last meet before the break. I suspect that will be the one the team tapers for so I don't expect Berry to be at their peak.

As for the other teams:

Point - is the weakest team in the field, with only 1 swimmer barely topping the 500 point mark in collegeswimming. In all there are only 9 swimmers on the men's roster, which hinders their ability to score, but worse, only 4 swimmers have a 400 or better ranking with 2 swimmers less sitting on less than 300 points. In a meet against, Thomas, St. Thomas, and Berry - even the 400 level swimmers will find it tough to earn points.

Thomas - like Point Thomas has only 9 swimmers, but the ability of those 9 is significantly higher than Point. The average Point swimmer is under a 395 collegeswimming rating, where the average Thomas swimmer is 491. In fact, only 1 Thomas swimmer is below the average score for Point. 7 of the 9 overall swimmers are in prime position to earn points with their 4 top swimmers capable of getting a medal in an event.

St. Thomas - is the best team in the event (I know kind of a duh statement considering they are ranked 3rd in their division) and they have a large roster of 28 swimmers including 11 international students brought in on swimming scholarships. Typically, in an event like this only 18 swimmers will be allowed to score, so not sure how St. Thomas will handle this meet. They will probably designate a "travel team" and only bring 18 to 20, unless this meet isn't limiting entries and in that case, I'd expect St. Thomas to cake walk the event. Even if they limit themselves to 18 swimmers, they have 13 on the roster with rating above 500 points, and 2 of those are above 600. By comparison, Berry has 8 swimmers above 500 and 1 above 600.

Bear - is currently scheduled to swim the 200 free on day 1 and the 100 free and 1000 free on day 2. Not yet sure about relays.

Last edited by Breeze : 11-17-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Breeze is online now   Reply With Quote