View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 08:58 PM   #1254
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've also identified the player I think will be the best trainer candidate. Don't have enough points for them yet, and since I'm not at all attached to my first, highly-expendable players, I reset which gave me enough with 25 points to spare.

For the price of 125 RacketBux, I give you the unquestioned top talent of the currently active Sri Lankan players and my first long-term acquisition: 23-year-old Sushant Shrivastava. At present he's ranked 832nd in singles, 1579th in doubles, which places him 4th and 7th respectively among our players who actually have rankings, all 10 of them that Sri Lanka can claim. I missed Shrivastava initially because he's younger than I was looking for (late 20s at the youngest generally for trainer candidates), but he's just the best by a wide enough margin that we will wait longer.

We'll also get to try to contribute in the World Team Cup before too long I think. Shrivastava is just past his physical peak at 97% and also has a good 97% aging factor. 4.3 talent, endurance peaked at a quite respectable 3.5. Average strength, but quite slow moving around the court, and a strong mental approach at 3.8. He's been managed by the game his whole career with the usual results including too much in doubles, not enough in serve, etc.

Sushant has been throwing himself at the futures wall, with a QF finish in Argentina a few weeks ago but otherwhise losing early. As usual we'll draw down his tournament participation, he'll have a few weeks of practice events before he gets back out there again, and see what we can do about training him up. If I had to guess from here, I figure he peaks as a high-level futures player but my sense of that is very rusty. Should have a few years of improvement and development to go before he reaches his peak. So a quicker entry into competitive play, at least at a lower level, than I was expecting but I couldn't pass him up.

Crunching the formula for the first time, he comes out at 6.13. Based on that, I'm going to boost my prediction and say he may have a shot at becoming a low-level Challengers player - and should definitely of course become Sri Lanka's #1 for a period. I don't think I've ever had a player in this range. It may be too high to reach, but I'm setting a goal for him to qualify for the main draw of a Slam at some point during his career. Gives me something ambitious to shoot for at any rate.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote