View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #1345
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Q4 Rankings Update

1. Ben Faille (23, FRA) - 16,220

Faille appears to be out of his funk, at least for the time being. The freak loss to Bardalis notwithstanding, he hasn't actually been outplayed in a few months. 7 Slams in a row, and a full year at #1. And counting.

2. Leon Polychroniadis (28, GRC) - 11,000

Polychroniadis has seized the #2 spot fairly securely it would seem.

3. Renke Cananis (28, DEU) - 9,100

Cananis actually had a good summer as well.

4. Themis Xanthos (28, CYP) - 6,330

5. Toni Bardales (27, ESP) - 5,590

By default. Bardales lost 400 ranking points and moved up two spots from 7th after the French, which tells you everything you need to know about how it's going for the Second Four.

6. Ene Caballero (21, ESP) - 4,990

Caballero is the one player actually doing what needs done in this range.

7. Oleg Urazov (24, CAN) - 4,740

8. Jochen Weigle (26, SUI) - 4,690

These two should be named Fail and Epic Fail as far as I'm concerned. This was supposed to the be the year they made strides in consistency and challenging higher up. Nope. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

9. Johann Przalowik (23, DEU) - 3,570

10. Solitris Papadias (28, GRC) - 3,190

Papadias is very close to sliding off; at press time Copperfield is just 5 points behind. The cliff has finally arrived. Banqueria is coming but I still it's probably next year for him.

200. Sushant Srivastava (25, SRI)

After a third straight FT1 title in basically two months, Srivastava has turned his year around after early disappointments. It's weird how sometimes it's just a switch that flips like that. It's borderline whether he'll have one more futures event - probably will - but after that it's time for the Challenger struggle that will define Sushant's peak years.

617. Manoj Datar (33, SRI)

Ambling along and progressing slower than I hoped towards becoming a trainer.

749. Aparna Chandrasekharan (20, SRI)

Still a couple of amateur results to drop off, but I think it's more likely than not his ranking improves further by year's end. He's surpassed Datar to become the theoretical second-best Sri Lanka player, but officially is still 4th.

123(J). Girish Raychaudhari (16, SRI)

Raychaudhari now has a full set of JG4 titles, and might dabble in the JG3 range if he can find the right situation. It's back to the stage of waiting for the next year and for more juniors to graduate. He's still consistently losing against players in the low 100s, so strong practice gains continue.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-18-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote