View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #1364
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Q2 Rankings Update

1. Ben Faille (23, FRA) - 17,630

Faille has played 28 matches so far this year and won all of them. Most have not been close and it's anybody's guess how long it will be until he loses again. It's difficult to overstate his dominance at this point.

2. Leon Polychroniadis (28, GRC) - 11,600

Miami was Leon's first real slip-up; I expect he'll stay at this spot for a while.

3. Renke Cananis (29, DEU) - 8,350

Cananis is more and more vulnerable, and quite possibly no longer even the best player from Germany. It would appear that his decline is accelerating.

4. Ene Caballero (22, ESP) - 6,140

Miami was disappointing, but overall a strong start to the year for Caballero. He's firmly established himself in the top four, and now has his sights set higher. I expect a strong showing from him in the clay season - multiple finals wouldn't be a surprise.

5. Jochen Weigle (27, SUI) - 4,860

Exactly 300 points seperate #5 through #8 right now; they are pretty much interchangeable.

6. Themis Xanthos (29, CYP) - 4,830

Xanthos is an exception, as he's clearly on his way down.

7. Toni Bardales (28, ESP) - 4,760

8. Oleg Urazov (25, CAN) - 4,560

Even though Miami was good, Urazov is still underachieving overall.

9. Johann Przalowik (24, DEU) - 3,270

Some very good wins, esp. recently, have Przalowik back in the Top 10. I'd say he probably stays this time.

10. Solitris Papadias (29, GRC) - 3,200

By the time the clay season is over, I expect Papadias to be replaced here. Davide de Laurentiis is 12th and just 100 points back; #13 Goya Banqueria is another candidate. He hasn't done much so far this year, but clay favors him.

185. Sushant Srivastava (26, SRI)

After cruising through another FT1 tournament, Srivastava will take another stab at sticking in the Challenger circuit. It wouldn't surprise me to see this yo-yo continue for a while.

548. Aparna Chandrasekharan (21, SRI)

Chandrasekharan is about to pop into the Top 500; at the time of writing he just finished winning his second FT3 in a row. By mid-year I expect to be at least experimenting with bumping him up to higher tiers of futures. The faster he rises, the better our chances at getting back in the WTC next year are.

650. Manoj Datar (34, SRI)

I think Datar has reached the point where he's definitely a better doubles players than singles - ranked 537th there.

56(J). Girish Raychaudhari (17, SRI)

Full steam ahead for Raychaudhari, who is undefeated in singles this season and has just a single loss in doubles.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-17-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote