View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #472
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

May

I'll use this to catchup on all the small events that happened in this period and leading up. Ritwik Dudwadkar had a couple of tournaments, both tier-3 juniors. In Tashkent, the second week of the Miami masters, he won in singles but lost in the quarters in doubles. Just a few weeks later during Monte Carlo he played again due to the schedule -- it was the best week for him to have a chance at another victory by far. He used it, smashing all comers including Ritwik Suksma in the singles final. A close runner-up finish in doubles was the only disappointment, and a very minor one. These wins have him started moving up again, into the mid-80s in the rankings. He'll be taking a good amount of time off now though.

In the professional ranks, the top event the week after Monte Carlo was the Barcelona 500. I was surprised to see Caratti enter here -- he's going to burn himself out. Mooljee was the 4th seed, and Ujjaval the 7th, so we had a significant presence as well. Naturally, Girsh and Mehul had played enough to take a couple weeks off heading into the Madrid/Rome double feature.

It was easy sailing at first, but in the third round Ujjaval was surprised by Spaniard Rui Padilla ... who we'll be seeing in the WTC quarters ... in a three-set match. The favorable crowd and clay expertise proved just enough for him. Mooljee had all he wanted in the quarterfinals against Frenchman Hugo Deallavadale, splitting two tense tiebreaks before winning the third set. That looked like the wake-up match, but he stumbled in a straight-sets defeat against Condon in the semifinals. I thought he'd go one further, and then lose to Caratti who won as the prohibitive favorite.

Coming Up ...

So that's where we are now, Madrid is actually finished and the Rome masters underway, I'll report on both of those once they are done. Mooljee is still fighting to get himself in the Top 16, Girsh is close behind Iglar in the race for #1, and Mehul is hanging around but trailing the tired Caratti for third. Prakash continues to have a disappointing year overall, while the top two players are doing about as well as I'd expect all things considered.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote