Pre-Paris Edition

In -- the cut line is presently at 3990

Girish Girsh -- 14,010
Antonin Iglar -- 8,690
Gustavo Caratti -- 8,380
Anil Mehul-- 6,510
Mugur Kinczllers -- 5,300
Theodore Bourdet -- 4,160

Partly due to recalculation(the 500/250 issue), Iglar has taken his expected #2 spot back. Girsh has an astonishing gap at the top, and Mehul a strong grip on the #4. It looks nearly certain that this will be the final order of the top six with only the margins changing a bit. Bourdet's title in Vienna combined with earlier losses by others have him confirming his spot in the field as well.

Probable

none

Contenders

Prakash Mooljee -- 3560
Bjorn Benda -- 3390
-------------------------
Agustin Herrera -- 3350
Davide Poilblan -- 3345
Pierce Gaskell -- 3340

Mooljee solidified his hold on one of the spots but for the other one Poilblan moved closer. Something weird is going on with Herrera's ranking, I think there's a calculation bug again possibly in the game so hopefully that doesn't affect things at the end. Right now my money's on Mooljee and Poilblan, the latter needing something similar to last year's quarterfinal run in Paris. He's very capable of it, and I'd expect him to go deeper than Benda ... given a decent draw. Four players within 50 points for the final spot ... it can't get any closer than that, and Mooljee isn't out of the woods either. He needs a few wins to be sure of his spot; worst-case scenario, he'd have to make the final to be absolutely certain.

Long Shots

Shreya Ujjaval -- 2840
Thiago Herrera -- 2785
Elias Trulsen -- 2670
Tobia Alberti -- 2415

Everybody here basically has to win the title in Paris to have a chance. They have one mathematically, but not practically speaking. None has been playing well lately(Alberti hasn't even been playing at all, in singles), and none is particularly good indoors.

Coming Up ...

As usual given the closeness of the competition for the final spots, I'll be doing round-by-round updates on Paris as I'm able. As of this writing it is Sunday so qualifying is going on. Around midnight or so, most of the nine remaining hopefuls will be playing their first matches. Unlike the last couple of Masters events, Tobia Alberti did enter in singles here so he can't actually be eliminated quite yet.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-17-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote