View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #93
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Dola.

And I think it's funny how everyone is using "House" as an example, since I just removed it from my season pass last night. It's just a stale, predictable show at this point. The character of House that I used to really like, has become a caricature of himself at this point (if that even makes sense). Of course, that's just my opinion.

I think House is getting close to that territory, but isn't quite there yet.

I think that happens to almost every show that goes past 4 or 5 season- the caricature part. The original writers who "knew" the characters as they originally wrote and defined them have attritioned out in some way, either by getting their own show, writing for another show, getting another task on the show, etc. So, then you bring in newer and newer "generations" of writers to work on the characters who become further and further removed from who they originally are and instead or just based on second and third hand interpretation.

Homer Simpson isn't the same Homer Simpson from season 1 which is different than "the good years" (~3~8) which is different than the "going downhill years" (9~11?) which is different than "the suck years" (12~current). The original Homer was flat until they developed him out in the good seasons. At that point, there were a range of things his character could do without it being "out of character". However, that got lost as you started losing writers who could work with the nuances of the character. And instead you had writers who were either not as good, lazy ("I can make Homer do dumb things- that's what he does!", or just unable to work as well within the confines of a character that isn't their creation.

I've used that exact word- caricature- before to describe it as I think it sums it up perfectly. Writers become divorced from the character so all they have to go on is the stereotype of said character.

Anyways, we're way off track here...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote