View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #59
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Auto-depth charts done!

I use a sort of “better than replacement” style algorithm to determine depth charts, and it seems to work pretty well. There are some issues with overall positional value calculations, but it’s a good start.

Here’s how the Greens roster worked out:

Offense

It looks like I locked down the QB/RB/WR trio fairly well. Jarmon is going to be a FREAK! Outside of that, my offense looks pretty bad. I’m not sure why Urquhart was listed as OL3 instead of Willette. (I’m sure it has something to do with the speed) I can adjust the positional value formula to fix that. The rest of the offensive depth chart looks ok, though.

Here’s the defense

One thing is for sure, I’m going to have a fast defense. The skill might not be there, but they can run! It looks like speed is getting used too heavily in depth chart generation here, too. My DL3 and DL4 should probably be flipped, but it’s pretty close.

Here’s where I need to make my money, special teams.

Between Urquhart and Dick Klinger (hehehe) we need to do some damage in return game. I imagine the defense is going to give up a lot of TDs, so we’ll need to strike back quickly. I’m also hoping the team speed will help on coverage, even if the skill sucks. Maybe I’ll move Dick Klinger (hehehe) to ST instead of KR…..

One thing I’ve noticed while working on the depth charts is that I don’t really like how they look. It’s not easy enough to find the information quickly. Also, the colors (reds) are too distracting. I’m also noticing that I really want to see the secondary ratings. (tackling, scramble…) I’m not going to fix it right now, but that’s going on the list to be addressed soon.

I’ll post the depth charts of the enemy team as they come up on the schedule. Hopefully that will help figure out what’s working and what’s not.

I just have to finish the stat recording, and we can get rolling!

Open Items List
  • Update depth chart screen for ease-of-use
  • Add secondary ratings to the depth chart