View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #2773
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I think it is. Because once football separates, the NCAA can focus on the non-revenue sports and the conferences can return to their regions.

With a few individual exceptions, the NIL money won't be that great and the value of a scholarship means a lot to these families.

It's important to remember that outside of the biggest college football teams and a significant subset of Division I men's college basketball teams, not a single college team in any sport generates any profit at all. So the NCAA amateur approach can and does work.

As for football, why pretend any more? Major college football is a professional sport. This is about brand preservation and not killing a cash cow for universities - one that finances all these amateur sports, in the end.

There's even room to preserve the amateur model for football once a super-league or leagues form.

Yep, this is exactly where I'm coming from. It's a cash cow for a few, and the concept of a money heavy, top tier, college age, professional football program and still have room for the solid collegiate amateur games. The problem is that the NCAA will refuse to let any of that cash walk out the door, even if it's for the betterment of the overall sport.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote