View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #9237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there a good site or Twitter account that mentions which matches are worth watching? I'd love to watch it but I honestly don't care (or even know in some cases) the competitors.

A certain amount of YMMV applies to your question but this might be the closest thing I've seen ahead of time. It previews night by night with the matchups

G1 Climax Preview, Part II: Night-by-Night

re: YMMV -- a good example might be Filthy Tom Lawler. If you like him / his style, you're more likely to enjoy his matches. If he's not your cup of tea going in, I doubt much will happen in G1 to change that. Same applies to Jeff Cobb, Jonah, and really any of the one trick ponies (and there's quite a few of those this year)

Will this year's G1 have a genuine breakout body of work, like Lance Archer 3(?) yrs ago? My guess is no, because each guy works fewer matches and with less variety in opponents My son says, fwiw, if there is one this year he thinks David Finlay could be that guy.

That's different, of course, from who gets a push (look for that to maybe be Henare & Cobb, if anybody other than the usual suspects). Even if Henare & Cobb both reached the final four or beyond, I don't see me enjoying them any more than the near-zero level I have them at as the G1 begins. They are what they are, you either enjoy them or you don't.

I also saw a great observation about G1 a few days ago, roughly said that it isn't used to raise/lower people's positions in the grand scheme of things but rather to solidify the higher/lower position they'd moved to over the past year's body of work. I thought about that a bit and realized it was pretty much true.