View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 07:08 PM   #9259
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Any thoughts on the Jonathan Gresham stuff? Supposedly unhappy and asked for his release from ROH/AEW.

Sort of feel like the guy thinks he's a bigger deal than he is. I like his work in the ring, but he's also incredibly short. I got to see him at a local Chicago show and I'm not kidding you when I say I think he's like 5'5 or maybe even shorter. It was actually pretty jarring to see him next to fans.

Not saying you can't get over and have a nice career, but you have to be realistic. Even Daniel Bryan isn't that short. And Gresham doesn't have a fraction of the charisma.

Just seems like a guy blowing up his wrestling career.

He's always seemed a bit ... taken with himself. That's not really all that new a thing.

And there seems to be an element of .. social politics ... to the situation given a recent comment/complaint. My own estimation is that perhaps he thought he'd be a little more catered to than the reality turned out to be.

And he's married to Jordyne Grace let's not forget, Lord knows she hasn't exactly endeared herself to much of anyone lately.

He's a skilled technical wrestler but also has all the personality of drying paint, compounded by the (lack of) size issue. It happens.

The "anti-charisma charisma" thing sorta worked (eventually) for Dean Malenko. That was in a different era. (And probably helped because, by contemporary accounts from his peers, his backstage personality was not nearly the Iceman character he played. In effect, the lack of a gimmick WAS a gimmick)