View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s do a quick review of the game now that I’ve finished it as it’s gotten some flack online and from user comments..

#1. I agree with the price issue. You could get the last few generations on release day for 34.99, but this was 59.99, and didn’t feel like there were 25 dollars worth of new stuff. It took me 10 hours fewer (roughy) to beat the game than normal, and less post-game things to do, like explore new sections of the map, have some more plot, capture older Pokemon, hunt down many more legendary (here it’s just one) and more.

#2. I disagree with the “Cannot transfer issue.” Other generations on release (Ruby/Sapphire in Gen 3) didn’t have this either until later games in the franchise peaked out. But they added other needed things (special attack vs normal) and abilities for Pokemon and lots more. This does the same.

#3. Some of the changes were great. I enjoyed seeing the Pokemon to engage, so you’d know what you were dealing with, and could more easily chase certain Pokemon. There were a number of QOL upgrades like still not needing Surf and such and more, as well as things like the free move relearner in every Pokemon Center, and more. The fly mechanics were better, and the ability to go to non-towns was also useful. You spent less time backtracking too to previous routes to see where I could Cut/Surf/Strength and find hidden items. Only the bike-on-water worked for that.

#4. Some of the changes were meaningless – There were some I didn’t care for much one way or the other. Gigiantizing your dorks was always something you could counter, and thus didn’t really mean much. I didn’t care for it one way or another. And the animations it used took too long. The gym challenge ahead of time was just another way of giving you pre-gym battle things to do to ensure that your gym battle will work. It felt like just another pre-run, with some weird things.

#5 – You had way too much cash at the end. I finished with 50 Ultra Balls, Dusks, Greats, Pokes, as well as dozens of Full Restores, Revives, Full Heals, etc. I also was buying tons of Repels, and TMs I didn’t need just because I had the cash, and I still finished with hundreds of thousands of PokeCash.

Overall? I liked it, and felt that the changes, wild area, movement around the map, different ways to catch things and more worked, no changes annoyed me, and overall I finished 10 hours less of ga me time Just 10 routes, less exploring, and less post-game stuff. Overall, I felt that the things removed roughly equaled the things added, and would be worth the previous price point or maybe up to $40, but the extra full-release of 60 felt too much to me.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote