View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #193
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Spoiled brats!
Yeah, I said it. The highest paid roster in the league ended pre-season without a single victory, looking like a cellar dweller during the games. We have scored a grand total of 1 touchdown on offense. Unheard of, shame on yourselves!

We extended contracts of four starters (guard Harvey Hank and defensive backs Courtney Blackwell, Alexander Marty and Riddick Newsome), which means we're going into the season with just $290K in cap space. In fact, I think that's how it should be every season. The last bunch we failed to use all our cap space, which will eventually snowball into a heavier cap situation the following season.

As it looks now, we'll be $217M over the cap at the start of next off-season. We have $293M locked up in bonus money and $11.8M in dead cap space. This leaves us with $179M room for the base salaries, while we've currently promised them to pay $395M. That's all before taking into account the cost of 8 draft picks. Technically, with 45 signed and 8 draft picks, we could get sneaky and go into the season over the cap. But I'm not sure the league will allow us, regardless of whether we feel that's sportsmanlike.

The cap situation is the least of my concerns for now. Apparently this supposedly talented defense continues to play like a below average bunch of players, while the offense continues to struggle heavily when Theo Bondy isn't on the field. Sure, it's okay to rely on Bondy, but it's not okay to stop trying when he isn't on the field or is double covered. I suppose we have 3 or so days to go into the film room, extensively take a look at what does and doesn't work and figure out what needs to be done to make this talented roster feel more comfortable with the game plan given. (Yeah, good luck with that, M.IJ.B....)

The good news? We're no longer cursed with being the pre-season favorites, we've dropped to third place in that area. Or was that a bad thing as well?

Keep hope, Merchantmen, stay strong. Work hard, it won't come easy, but it'll come.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote