View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Gathering Greeks

The past several years have been ones of quiet foundational building - gathering many trade agreements together.

17 October 1460 - We have a fully maxed stability and a realm of happy people.

6 March, 1462 - Our old King dies and Francesco II takes his place. I forgot to tell you about the old guy, but he was pretty poor. Francesco II looks pretty solid, with high marks in administration. I look forward to his reign.

13 January, 1463 - The Papal States are attacked by France! France and her vassals declare war upon the Papal States. Within moments, I am informed that Scotland and severeal other states have joined the war. The Papal States want me to support them.

I'm not that silly. I choose to not support them. As a result, we are now alliance-less. I decide to strike now and offer an alliance with Athens. I must choose the bolder and riskier of the strategies for survival and Athens is our friend.

January 7, 1465 - I decide that the time to begin our trade investment has begun. I send out all five merchants to Venice, where we will ply our trade at the markets here. We drive away competition and set up shop with two merchants. It took about half of the ducats that I had, and now we are beginning to get a small trickle of cash flow from the trade markets. It;s not much, I'll grant you, but its a start.

April 6, 1465 - I send out another merchant since it seems that someone left or died there. He appears to have set up shop as well, increasing our trade in Venice.

April 8, 1465 - I decide to send out a diplomat to Athens to offer them vassalization. We have perfect relations, a royal marriage, an alliance, and a trade agreement. Why not draw our realms closer together?

Athens accepts and they become our vassals.

This is good on some fronts. We get half of their income - which isn't much. Athens is a small province of fishers. Hardly worth notice normally, but we need to expand, so that when war comes, we won't be as easy to capture and take. Additionally, Athens is our land base for Naxos, and having the ability to send soldiers to and from Naxos without using ships allows us to send armies outw while also giving our capital a point of defense against ground armies that may have an interest.

In other words, despite its low economic value, it has tremendous strategic value to us. Gaining Athens is the most important step is waging war, and now she is our vassal, just a few years shy a possible annexation.

In other news, Aragon has been spreading up the Italian Peninsula, and now has over half of it under their control. It should be interesting to see if that spreads.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote