View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 03:15 AM   #2335
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Getting back to the question asked about what my solution is, I'll just repeat that some of the businesses should just go away and that's fine. I think we'd be better off if there were fewer fast-food establishments for example.

Some of this is tied up into how we train, educate, what I've said before about blue-collar work vs. college etc. If we were better at getting people into vocations that fit their talents and abilities, we'd have a better fit between labor and those sectors of the economy that require it. I also think any temporary increase in unemployment should have a corresponding temporary increase in the minimum wage, so that it is *never* financially incentivized to not work. Some still wouldn't because of working, conditions, pandemic, whatever but it wouldn't be nearly the issue we have now. Something on the order of 20% higher pay at least for working the most crap job compared to not working is appropriate IMO. In times of sufficient hardship, I think it's appropriate for government to foot that bill.

I also think we need to jettison this anti-business mindset. There are good and bad businesses, just like there are good and bad people. And as I've said earlier in the discussion, have a more nuanced view of the economy. There is a range that people are willing to pay for certain products, whether it's a vehicle, a household appliance, a game or console, or whatever it is. While automation has minimized the effect and will continue to do so, this also means there's a range of how much value can be extracted from a specific product, and a limit on the value of labor in any particular field. This is not something that can be hand-waved away. There will always be relatively low-paid people no matter if you raise the minimum wage to $1000/hour or whatever obscene amount you may imagine. Some sectors of the economy will always be more profitable than others. . We need to not have a governmental policy that encourages people not to work - and people who live paycheck-to-paycheck are going to choose the short-term cash almost every time. Their financial status isn't stable enough to give them the confidence that they can afford to think long-term, and a lot of them are in the position they are in because they aren't inclined to do so by nature.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote