View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't know how you would find out a school is doing this, but strategic financial aid is something to watch out for(or exploit). We have been using this, and the idea is to gradually increase the financial aid offer over time. The kids that commit first get less on average than the kids who commit later. I think it's a terrible way to treat the students that are most committed to the institution.

Same thing applies to at least some post-grad stuff too. I got that in detail from someone in the law school admin at a major university, basically telling us to NEVER take anyone's first offer for that.

edit to add: The discount on acceptance for that program at that school is the bottom offer. Unreplied in 30 days gets an automatic form letter offering $10k more. Unreplied to that in 45 days gets another automatic $10k-$15k increase over that. After THAT is when they'll call and ask "what will it take". The catch is that you're gambling they don't hit quota before that round.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-10-2016 at 10:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote