View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #43
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Having an exceptionally dim view (based on personal experience) of the state of college freshmen in the mid90s, two curiosities come to mind for me here

1) what does the avg SAT of your incoming freshmen look like now vs then
2) ditto question re: GPAs

Not Abe...but since part of what I do is prepare reporting on this topic for the Trustees and various other admin units...I can tell you that we have literally set a record at my university every year for the past decade in average SAT scores and GPA for incoming freshmen.

A big part of the GPA boost can be attributed to college prep courses grading out on a 5.0 scale in many high schools (which inflates HS GPA if you take the equivalent of 15 college credit hours in HS, as all of my kids have done). SAT rise is generally attributed to better testing support.

I can put it this way: I was valedictorian of my HS class. I had a legit 4.0 GPA with no college transfer credit. I took the SAT once and scored a 1200, which was good enough to get me into the state college I wanted to attend with a full ride scholarship.

That wouldn't get me into the first round of acceptances under our current model. I'd still get in, but my SAT scores would give them reservations. We're aiming for 1450 as the average on the Math/Verbal.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote