View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #97
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Mileage probably varies a LOT.

Personally, I get the concept and I definitely see not only the appeal but the potential usefulness of it.

At the same time, losing momentum that might never be regained is a helluva risk IMO.

And of the last four kids I've seen do the gap year thing, two are currently living in their car, another is an out of college as abrupt & unplanned father.

I get the Kerouachian appeal of it. I completely get the enormous burnout experience HS can be. But the kid would probably have to be on the verge of hospitalization / breakdown sort of burnout for a gap year to seem like a good idea in practice.

I agree with this. I have known a lot of people who have done this and more often than not they never go back to school. Intentions are always good going into it, but a lot can happen in a year. They find a girlfriend locally they don't want to leave. They enjoy being 19 year old with no real expenses. But my biggest fear would be hanging around a group of people who are not going to college and who will drain the motivation to ever go.

On the other hand, my brother took a gap year and he's now got a PhD in Biochemistry and a nice job in the pharmaceutical industry. He spent his year working at a convenient store and smoking pot with loser friends. Was very close to him being one of those people who never ends up going. In fact I think if it wasn't for the fact my Dad badgered him relentlessly about it he may never have gone.

My suggestion is to avoid the gap year if you can. If you can't, I'd make your kid pay a small bit of rent and/or take a couple general courses at the community college. Show them life isn't a free ride and a couple courses will keep the mind fresh and even cut down on some costs when they go to a regular university.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote