View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
For several years my wife and I headed up the local relay for life chapter. Every year we were tasked with various ways to bring people out. One that we found that consistently worked was getting a couple players from the University of South Carolina and from Clemson to come out. Sign autographs. Meet kids. One year we staged a tug-o-war between the two schools. Etc.

Both schools were accommodating every time I asked. Either sending players or coaches or the Mascot etc. We frequently got scrubs or freshmen who hadn't played yet. And they frequently acted like they were too good to be there despite us doing everything we could within NCAA guidelines to make it worthwhile for them.

One year in particular stands out. The players were supposed to be there by 10AM and usually made it by noon. At 8:30 that morning I got a call from a 770 area code. A young very sheepish man told me he and his teammate were there and wanted to know where they could help.

It was chaos. We were running around setting everything up and were behind like usual directing volunteers to set up chairs, or hang banners etc. And now I had to deal with 2 prima donna athletes who were early and probably wondering where the A/C was. GRRR.

Hang tight a few minutes please and I'll come up and meet y'all. Sorry I wasn't expecting you quite yet.

The soft spoken voice said "My mom used to help with Relay for Life back home and I know its a lot of set up. Me and Tra left early this morning so we could help. Just let me know where and how."

Ok this was refreshing. I went up and met the 2 Clemson freshmen. One was a short pudgy OL Tra Thomas and he and I connected pretty easily. You dont find many 6'0" OL and we both fit the bill. We got them directed setting up some 100 chairs for locals to watch the high school chorus team perform and they not only did it. They laughed and smiled and made a game out of who could set a row up the quickest. My kids 6 and 9 at the time were rambling around and the players both showed them attention with the other player, whom I had originally spoken to on the phone, taking right up with my 6 year old daughter. Riding her piggy back while he stacked chairs. Playing football with my son and letting him tackle him to the ground. He and my kids belted out a badly out of tune rendition of "Big Green Tractor" a country/pop hit of the day. Quite the site seeing a 6'3" black dude with corn rows seeing a country song and knowing every word! I remember being disappointed that this huge TE who even as a freshman looked chiseled and ripped had the hand shake of 86 year old grandma. But his personality was electric and everyone there loved him.

Set up complete the day went off without a hitch and the these two young dudes were great representatives of their school and their team. They posed for pictures in their jerseys. They held up housewives in their arms for photos. And they did it all with a smile. 5pm came and it was time for the players to be relieved of their appearance. Tra walked up the hill from our High School ball field to the car. The Young TE approached me and asked if it would be ok if they stayed for another hour. We had hired a Gospel Band out of Atlanta to play that night and this young man from Addairsville, GA remembered when they played at his church. He said they had an amazing lead vocalist and he wanted to hear them again. He'd be glad to pay admission if needed(the $10 gate fee to get into the event got you access to the entire activity concert included) but he had donated the full $50 they were given for a meal stipend to the Relay fund raiser raffle and given all the tickets to some of the little kids there.

Of course he was welcome to stay and he didn't need to pay admission. He thanked me and seemed genuinely grateful for such trivial token gesture. He stayed throughout the concert, helped the band carry their PA equipment to their van. then hung out and helped us clean everything up until after 1am. Refusing to leave despite the 2 hour drive home and the late hour. He said "Tra been up there sleeping he can drive us back"

That night I remember well telling my wife. That dude will never make it playing football. He is too soft and that limp fish handshake is embarrassing for a dude his size. But whatever he sets his mind to, he will be a success. That personality is infectious.

Well I had buried that story way back in my mind until i read this article earlier and that limp fish handshake and that love of country music suddenly brought me back and made me smile.

By the way that Fr TE changed positions that summer and moved to DE. While the limp fish handshake, apparently, remains I'd say the football thing worked out better than I ever expected. Good job, Vic.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/so-...aign=editorial

Way long time coming (I have never read this thread before), but this is a great story. Thanks for sharing, CU.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote