View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 02:02 AM   #259
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sorry to tell you this but for a lot of people of color, white Polos and khakis (esp with New Balances) and Macklemore haircuts are going to make people think you are a white supremacist.
It's definitely a thing in the vocal Twitter fringes, but I don't believe a lot of people in the real world think that.
Quote:
Like there is a reason white power groups latched onto the Betsy Ross flag - no one else was using it and it adhered to their ideas about a white purity state. It's hard to jump back in now and say, hey, I know we weren't using it (for like decades), but it isn't yours. The attachment has already taken some root.
But people were always using it in my area (a mile from the North Bridge), and colonial American wasn't a white purity state anyways, so why should we cast it aside if idiots are misappropriating it?

Quote:
Or rather it's the un-deification of the Founding Fathers. I have long thought that the US eschews monarchy, because we've put the Founding Fathers in God-like roles already. In some respects they are our own Greek Gods with their mythical stories. Popping that bubble is long overdue, IMO. It's more unveiling the Founders and realizing that their values may not be exactly our values 200 years+ later and that's ok. People get angry and say the Founders had good as well as the bad, but they also get upset when you try to point out the bad and indicate that maybe that is a reason not to put them on the uncritical podiums they've been on for so long.
I don't think they've been on an uncritical podium in the last 20 years, and I think all us smart people can look at them as a whole & acknowledge their faults while still appreciating what they did at the time. Maybe it's due to growing up in a town that actually cares about colonial history, but outside of George Washington I think everyone readily acknowledges their faults.