View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #139
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm sure the Mars colony (or really any other planet/moon we hope to colonize in this solar system) will have the same problem. We'll need to solve for creating some sort of artificial gravity if we are to live long-term in Mars.

Googling, there are options (but don't know the quality or practicality of those links). The one I like the most is creating an underground environment where the chambers can "spin" (which also helps protect from the harsh environment). They all sound fantastical but I'm sure there are a bunch of scientists trying to figure it out.

Unfortunately, we'll be long dead before there is colonization but still hopeful for exploration of Mars and other places where we may find "life" while I'm still around.

From what I've read, it does seem as if Mars is the most "friendly" planet to colonize in this solar system. Many other objects may have ice/water, but they have less gravity than Mars, we can grow things on Mars surface, it is relatively close to Earth etc.

There is a cost benefit analysis we have to go through, I'm not sure the benefits really outweigh the costs right now (I think it does especially when you factor in what it would mean if China does it first) but I'm all for starting the process of colonization knowing it'll take decades.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote