View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 01:44 AM   #213
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have a question. When do the schools present you with the loan offerings and payment plans? When should I look for outside loan options, lower interest parent offreings, etc?

My Senior just got his final ACT scores, and it's really disappointing. He's a very smart, driven kid with a deep love of many, many things. His ACT scores suck. His award money from the school is about as pedestrian and average as it gets. It's been a real kick to all this. He's on the same level as his friends, they break 30, he struggles to break 24. He's gotten all A's and B's in the college courses he's taken thus far. But what an incredible let down.

I'm only sharing this here, because it's the safest place to let this out. He was the one in the family that if there was a chance to get a big scholarship offer, he was going to get it. Now? Now it's just nothing. He is the 50th percentile. He is neither in demand or special. How incredibly disappointing to have him struggle and be unable to break this barrier.

I am feeling very conflicted about all this. It takes a lot of processing to figure out how to deal. He's done a ton of prep work, yet never did some of the things he needed to in order to be successful. I want to be his cheerleader, I want to be irritated that a kid with the talent he has just couldn't pull it together to make this happen. I can't possibly get mad at him for it.

Ugh... What's done is done. Just need to find out what I need to do to secure loans. He won't get shit for scholarships. He's not a high enough achiever, we make too much money, his grades and scores are just above average, but not top tier. I just want to know what to expect and how to make sure I get all the funding necessary to get expenses covered. Thanks

Maybe it's more of a California thing, but why not a JC? Why spend the money on core classes that make no difference where it's being taken? I was the only one who went to JC in my family and it cost less for my whole education than it did for my brother for one year (state school for 4 years) and sister (private for one year, public for 3).
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote