View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
This doesn’t cover everything you mentioned, but maybe something like this could help?

Focus on what you can control, and try to block out those that you can’t so you at least reduce stress. Everybody’s list will vary, but from what you’ve posted, try to ignore your neighbours and stupid people with too much time on their hands.

Yeah I know it is A LOT easier said than done but this is the key. Trump sucks, but nothing people post about on twitter or here is going to change that and sometimes I feel like TDS is a real thing. And I don't mean that in the insulting way that Trump supporters use the term, I just mean I see normal members of FOFC going down a dark hole and posting every couple minutes about what he is doing wrong. Unless you are a high level member of government you aren't going to change anything (and it's questionable whether they have much power either) and you are definitely stressing yourself out and might be making yourself sick.

Here's where I come from, if you look back at some of the political threads from 2006ish-2012 and check the post count for each thread you will always see panerd up near the top. Guess what impact I made on the way our government works, the way the electorate works, hell just the way human nature works? Sometimes its fun to discuss and debate and sometimes even just to vent but if you are feeling really stressed I would say that would be the #1 thing to take out of your diet. COVID is going to kill at the same rate, the mass media is going to over dramatize certain angles like the case count, and the end will come at some point whether you post 10 times or 1000 times and it will be the exact same end.

And to prepare you ahead of time (as someone who is definitely voting Biden) if this ends up having a low death rate (it looks very possible) and the economy semi-recovers (it looks very possible) Trump is likely going to get reelected for 4 more years. I know it seems like on here his approval rating is close to 0% but that doesn't really jibe with reality. On this one I would definitely say to volunteer and talk about his ills and do all you can be again in the end you just don't control as much as you think.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote