View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've mentioned previously (in some thread or another) that I've got an unusually high number of K-12 educators among my social media friends/follows. (a function of having a crazy high percentage of my HS peers end up in that line of work). So I see stuff just in the normal flow of living my digital life.

I've watched a cousin who is a ... wtfever his job description is. He's basically what I'd call a digital training lead or similar, for a top-ten sized school system in Georgia. He's not their IT lead, he's kind of the go-between for policy/implementation side and the boots on the ground employees. (in addition to teaching a full class load himself)

All summer he cranked out specific short videos about one topic or another, offering practical daily use level info about multiple softwares and other tech stuff. Numerous times he did those based on specific requests about some topic. I don't know how many horses showed up to drink but there was water for 'em regardless.

I grew up in a relative backwater (that still hasn't exactly soared above that) but spent July watching a whole batch of K-12 teachers get dragged into engagement with their digital setup after some basic human behavior manipulation.

The way they got them engaged in significant numbers? They got a couple of people gung-ho about decorating their "digital classroom" ... and like moths to flames a sizable portion of the rest followed suit. Basic human behavior.

I dare say the vast majority of the FOFC understands the value of getting people to be hands on with any sort of new tech, getting people past the fear of "I'm afraid I'll break it" or "I don't have the slightest clue what to do". It frankly impressed the hell outta me that anybody back home thought about how to encourage that, especially since the majority of instruction there is taking place in person not online.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-19-2020 at 01:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote