View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #2980
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Anybody who liked Band of Brothers and/or stuff like Waltz with Bashir should check out "The Liberator" on Netflix. Similar premise to Band of Brothers in following a particular Unit/soldier through WW2 , also based on real Events and based on a book detailing those.

Kinda a Live-Action/Animation hybrid technique used which works really well in highlighting the surreal element of a war and how memory tends to be not photorealistic but still makes the characters feel organic and 'real'. Not the same technique as WWB, but does evoke that one quite a bit in how it feels very 'documentary' and playing out as a sort of memory visually (we aren't following the narrator, we are sharing his memory. For which the less realistic depiction fits really well)

Only 4 episodes x 45-55 minutes, so worst case you wasted barely 3 hours

Watched this the other day. I read up on it a little bit ahead of time. They can do this sorta rotoscoping to save a ton of money in order to be able to actually make the film so I was rooting for it. I liked that they can draw in an actual Panzer III if they need one rather than paint a German cross on an old Chaffee. But, I did have some trouble being sure who was who if they weren't main characters.

Anyway, I liked it. Story is a little choppy but I think that it has to be to tell an entire war's experience in 4 episodes. Thanks for the recommendation.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote