View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #359
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
He is a literal Christian icon and prophet to these people, sent by god to lead us through the end times.

The people you are talking about say crazy things like that in all situations though. There's an aspect of what is hilariously termed Christianity which finds demons under every rock, unquestionable divine intervention in whether or not they get a flat tire, etc. I mean here's some saying similar things about Bush:

God intervened to re-elect President Bush; George W. Bush and evangelicals; divine intervention in elections - Beliefnet

Robertson Says God Told Him Bush Will Win Reelection In A 'Blowout' | Americans United for Separation of Church and State

That kind of thing isn't new or Trump-specific. Meanwhile Dobson, Rosenberg, MacArthur, Grudem, on and on all cite the justification I described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
They're not voting for him because he's a liberal sexual pro-choice deviant (now successfully playing a fictional character of a conservative presidential figure), they're voting for him despite those things because they believe he is a prophet sent from God to restore the Christian white man's position in America before the end times.

Yes on the first part, no on the second except for the extremists - which it pays no value to heed. I mean, there was a local pastor who tried to convince me and my father that MLK was a communist many years ago, and these people belong in the same category. That doesn't mean he was representative of Christianity or conservative evangelicalism as a whole (he wasn't, and isn't) or that there was some big political movement that thought as he did that anything more liberal than literal Puritanism enforced from Washington was a sign of the end times.

You can find extreme views anywhere, but when you ask people why they voted for Trump it's consistently been a combination of policy and his combative, take-no-prisoners leadership style that I've seen over and over again.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-19-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote