View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #315
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Simon is home, and just buzzing. He feels like he really found his place. I feel like he couldn't have ended up at a better fit. He did say many of the kids are from very wealthy families and had attended elite schools and boarding schools. It doesn't make him feel isolated, though. He has made many friends, and really has been able to fit in within a good group.
Here is my question to the board. He is going in with the idea of studying computer science. One of his classes this semester is Discrete Math that goes along with that major. When he talks about it, he just lights up. He has always found math easy, but not all that interesting. This class has changed his mind. So much so, he is thinking of becoming a math major. Give me an idea of what careers would use something like Discrete Math? All I know about it is that it has very little to do with actual numbers, but my small brain doesn't quite get it.

He could look into doing a double major in Computer Science and Math. When I was in school, the two shared a lot of courses so getting both was not too much additional work. I was able to get a minor in Math by taking 2 or 3 extra courses. CompSci seems to have changed quite a bit since those days, though, so they may not align now.

As for a career with Discrete Math, I'm not sure. Maybe a data scientist.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote