View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #472
Edward64
Head Coach

Decided to read up on what Biden wants for gun laws.

Page not found | Joe Biden for President: Official Campaign Website

The things I question or don't like.

Quote:
Hold gun manufacturers accountable. In 2005, then-Senator Biden voted against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, but gun manufacturers successfully lobbied Congress to secure its passage. This law protects these manufacturers from being held civilly liable for their products – a protection granted to no other industry. Biden will prioritize repealing this protection.

Don't know enough about the laws but at first glance, unless there is criminal negligence, I am more on the hold the person that did the crime accountable vs the manufacturer.

Quote:
Buy back the assault weapons and high-capacity magazines already in our communities. Biden will also institute a program to buy back weapons of war currently on our streets. This will give individuals who now possess assault weapons or high-capacity magazines two options: sell the weapons to the government, or register them under the National Firearms Act.

I'm okay with banning future assault weapons (don't like it but can live with it) and okay with banning high-capacity mags. It wasn't clear what would happen to existing but think the bolded answers the question?

I have my assault weapons and am okay with registering them (or say they were lost in a boating accident).

If there is a push to turn in assault weapons and high-capacity mags (was it New Zealand?), I wouldn't support that.

Quote:
End the online sale of firearms and ammunitions. Biden will enact legislation to prohibit all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts.

I assume this applies to companies retailing weapons and also private sales. Assuming all sales goes through a FFL as an intermediary and the FFL does that background checks etc. I don't see why this is necessary.

But okay. Some retailers will go out of business, some websites that facilitates sales of used guns will go out of business etc. and there will be less "churn" in gun sales. I can live with it.

Quote:
Put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns. Today, we have the technology to allow only authorized users to fire a gun. For example, existing smart gun technology requires a fingerprint match before use. Biden believes we should work to eventually require that 100% of firearms sold in the U.S. are smart guns.

I really disagree with this. I don't want any electronics between me and the trigger. Worse case is EMP attack/solar event. Also bug in software, inclement conditions (deer hunting in the cold with gloves on) etc.

I may have missed it but I did not see where Biden would get tough on career criminals who commit crimes with weapons. I did not see a plan to get weapons away from career criminals proactively. It would be great if there is an all out effort to get guns away from them.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-24-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote