View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #2998
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I just finished season 5 of Schitt's Creek and in contrast, quite enjoy the show. I do agree at their core that the Rose family aren't likeable people. But isn't that kind of the point? The same could be said about characters from other shows such as David Brent/early Michael Scott, Larry David, the Seinfeld crew, etc.

I do disagree about the lack of growth. They kind of go from being pure snobs, where they look down upon the townspeople, to more of an unintentional blissfully ignorant snootiness.

That’s like a bare minimum of growth. My wife liked the feel good nature of the show, but eh... it’s kind of forgettable. Not to mention it’s generally rare for me to enjoy a comedy with unlikable characters unless those characters are the butt of the joke (ie, VEEP, Arrested Development). I didn’t like The Office until Michael was a bit more sympathetic (and the UK Office I can’t stand). Seinfeld was different for me for some reason - I guess mostly because they reacted in ways that most people would like to if they could (I do like a good comedy of manners).

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The People v. O.J. Simpson is incredible. If you missed it a few years ago, I recommend it.

It was really excellent. The casting was phenomenal, even though when announced some of it almost sounded like a joke... but David Schwimmer was a standout.