View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #679
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'm beginning to realize how out of touch most of my professional colleagues are with their own mortality.

The more conversation I have about COVID, the more I realize how polyana and care free so many people walk around every day.

Yes COVID is real and could kill you and Yes you should take precautions as much as possible.

But you do a lot of dumb more dangerous stuff as well. Not saying that to minimize it, saying that I think part of the freak out is people who have never seriously considered the possibility that they are going to die.

Work convo this morning where I "shocked" 4 40something co-workers when they learned I had a living will and an asset will and already owned my burial plots and had pre-paid for my funeral expenses. I did all this before I was 30. I honestly thought until today that made me in the norm....now I learn that no one..not even my 68 year old co-worker/employee has burial plots despite his wife being a 2 time cancer survivor.

I think the world is crazy and their priorities are skewed...

I don't know if CU comes to the board anymore or if any of you are in contact with him on other platforms. If you do, I just want to publicly thank him for initiating this conversation and thank all who participated. I mentioned this post and the conversation that followed to my wife's brother in law right around the time it posted. We discussed it for about 20 minutes while we watched sports and I don't ever remember talking about it again.

Well on Saturday, he had a seizure and passed away. On Sunday, my nephew gave me a box that he said his father said to give to me because I would understand what to do with the stuff since we are both veterans. The box contained many of the things we discussed here including his will that was signed on August 4th of last year, all his military paperwork/passwords for his online military records including completed forms that would ensure that my sister in law would maintain her benefits as a surviving spouse, his funeral program and his obit among other things. The thing that tied it back to this thread was a note that was in the box that mentioned our conversation.

My wife, sister in law, nephew and I went to make the arrangements for his funeral today. We spent all of 25 minutes in the funeral home. Ten of that was watching the funeral home director fill out his paperwork for the death certificate. Another five was calling the National Cemetery Administration to arrange the date for his funeral. The rest was just us receiving the logistics of the day of the funeral. I have had to take part in arranging a few of these now and none of them went this smooth. My sister in law did little more than confirm the date of the funeral and fill out the check that was in the box to pay for his funeral. Of course he had opened a separate account for that purpose.

I am going to miss that SOB!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote