View Single Post
Old 08-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #24
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Last season, I tried to get into The Wire from the start, but I just didn't get it the first time around.

After reading a few reviewers on the web who's opinions I generally expect, I set my Tivo to grab the first season when it was getting replayed on HBO2.

I got it the second time around. Like Homicide: LOTS, it's a show that you have to be willing to give your attention. You can't watch it as background noise or in the midst of doing anything else. But if you're willing to give it your attention, it'll draw you in.

After finishing the first season, I was fairly sure it was one of the top 2 or 3 shows on TV (Buffy, West Wing, The Wire). It's impossible to pick a favorite episode - the whole season was just phenomenal from moment one to the finale. The highlights for me were the death of Wallace and, of course, Bunk and McNulty putting together the murder in the apartment.

This year, when I sat down to watch season 2, I knew what I was in for. Going into the final episode, I'm fairly sure that the two seasons of The Wire may be the best 2 season run of television since Buffy Seasons 2 and 3.

I often try to sell people on The Wire, but then stop trying when they tell me they love 24. The Wire is the anti-24. No lame subplots. No red herrings. No deus-ex-machina. Every moment has meaning. Nothing is contrived. Even this season, when you knew they were going to have to get the team back together, they still waited until mid-season, and did it in a reasonable manner.

Then they drop D'Angelo. No fanfare, no repercussions. Avon wants him dead, he ends up dead.

Then Brother Mouzone shows up, quite possibly the best character on television since, well, since Omar.

And then, just to make sure they keep you off balance, they have Prez pop his father-in-law and get pulled off the team.

As you get your bearings again, they finish the penultimate episode, looking like they're heading towards bringing down the Greeks, one man's actions (good old Busmalis from Oz) leave you watching Frank Sobotka, the man who started the season as "the target" walking towards certain death.

The amazing thing is that even with Sobotka dead, it leaves so many options. What will Nick do? What about Nick's dad? What's the payoff between Omar and Stringer? What about Avon and String?

The only shows in the past 2 seasons to come along that I've truly loved have been The Wire and Firefly. One of them has been cancelled by quite possibly the worst network on TV. Thankfully, HBO has some sense and I'm going to get to see a third season of The Wire.

God, I love this show.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote