Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Race to the World Tour Finals
Post-Wimbledon Edition

In

Mateo Kaspar -- 10,210
Ritwik Dudwadkar -- 6,810
Martin Zarco -- 6,460

You can see how well Dudwadkar has played early in the year here; almost 7k of his 9k total points in the rankings. If he does anywhere near this well in the second half he should leave all non-Kaspar competitors in the dust. And yet Zarco is right there with him; he's been very good also.

Probable

Guus Dircx -- 4980
Hsuang-tsung Teng -- 4600
Ruben Piazzola -- 3090
Prakash Mooljee -- 3020

You can pretty much pencil in Dircx and Teng here, it's only a matter of time. Things are less certain after the clearly superior Top 5 though. Mooljee and Piazzola have been consistent enough to give themselves the clear inside track on two more spots, but they've got a lot of work left.

Contenders

Sigmund Kronecker -- 2500
--------------------------
Alexey Nikitin -- 2460

Meanwhile, Kronecker has the last spot for now, but it would be a big upset if he made the field after having reached it only once, and that three years ago. I've never seen anything like that happen. And with Nikitin still rising, he looks to me like the guy who'll take it.

Long Shots

Benno Duhr -- 2090
Gillo Fangio -- 1990
Matthew Panter -- 1965
Gilberto Chinaglia -- 1670
Valentin Rosenberg -- 1555

Fangio's got to figure something out by the time we get to the US Open, where he was a finalist last year. If he doesn't, he's going to be gone from the Top 8 positions after that. Hasn't been a terrible year for him; decent on HC, not very good clay season aside from RG. Still, he seems likely to be the only player capable of keeping the Ukrainian from making his debut.

Chinaglia's total is hard to calculate since it's almost all small events and I don't know how that will shake out. It would seem impossible for him to be in the hunt having played almost no big tournaments, and yet here he is. With the center of gravity shifting upwards in the rankings, there's a lot more of the usual chaotic scramble here for the last few spots.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote