View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 03:04 AM   #840
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2061 Player Rankings

1. Karl Kaspar(26, FRA) - 13,650

How long Karl remains on top is a subject for discussion and reasonable debate. What is sure though is that over the second half of last year he seized control of the tour, particularly with titles at the US Open, Roland Garros, and the World Tour Finals. A stellar 84-6 overall record was far better than the previous year in which he fell to defeat 14 times. Clearly it is his time now. I think I like the 'First of His Name' nickname the best.

2. Mateo Kaspar(32, FRA) - 11,990

All good things must come to an end eventually. I think Mateo will get in a blow every now and then, but now that he's gone doubles he'll probably decline significantly over the next year until he maxes that out. He's still a threat to anyone unless it's a clay match; but the reign of King Kaspar is over. What a reign it was, a thing that may well never be matched or even approached.

3. Ritwik Dudwadkar(30, SRI) - 8,350

As Karl ascended, Dudwadkar declined. He really hit the wall the second half of last year. If I wasn't about to fire him soon I'd say he had a chance at a bit of renaissance this year, but it's time for Ritwik to say good-bye to being a real challenger just six months after briefly holding the #1 ranking again. The overall mark of 70-17 was his worst in five seasons.

4. Hamal Sbai(27, MOR) - 7,165

Still somewhat of an underachiever, Sbai isn't going anywhere just yet and could move up a spot or even two depending on how quickly the aging players above him fade. He's got the ability to depose Karl, but has shown no sign of playing at the required level consistently.

5. Stuart Pargeter(28, USA) - 5,600

Stuart's held steady here for the last year or two, and is seemingly no threat to fall apart or rise significantly. He had more than his share of frustrations during his early prime, but Pargeter has become the clear #1 American and that's no small feat.

6. Sushant Chiba(24, SRI) - 5,230

Chiba's won a single clay Masters two years running(Madrid two years ago, Rome this past year). QF at Wimbledon and SF at the USO broke him out of a pattern of uninspiring Slam performances, and if he continues that level of play he will find himself pushing further upwards.

7. Gregory Mackenzie(29, USA) - 4,840

A consistent veteran who presently occupies the 'best of the rest' spot based on his experience.

8. Gilberto Chinaglia(28, ITA) - 3,815

Chinaglia eventually made his third, and probably last, WTF finals showing this season. The former #4 has no real hope of reattaining those heights.

9. Hugo Cordova(26, USA) - 3,390

Hugo is a meteoric player and despite not being particularly old, he's already definitely over the hill. He's reached as high as 7th but never made the Tour Finals. Weirdly, the only Slam he's never reached the second week of is the one in Flushing Meadows. Third-round exits in his last three Slams suggest his best days may be gone now.

10. Kenneth Brasher(25, GBR) - 3,080

The second-youngest player in the Top 10 is also just the third British player to reach these heights; and both of the other two are collecting their pensions.

11. Brian Meikeljohn(22, IND)

Meikeljohn led India through the WTC playoffs with excellence, and it looks like he may have stopped pushing the doubles angle. We'll see, but even if so a lot of damage has already been done. He's still plenty good enough to push his way onto the first page though.

12. Chad Duncan(26, GBR)

The 'other' Brit is up well from 20th, though I'm not sure he goes much further.

13. Tristan Allende(26, USA)

Much potential, but ultimately a disappointment. Clearly on his way out now.

14. John Hart(23, IRE)

Hart is the surprise player of the year. I don't even know what his ranking was last season, but it's clear he will be seen a lot more this campaign - and will not be safely ignored.

15. Stanley Edleman(24, USA)

You knew it was coming eventually. Edleman stirred the pot in the mid-20s for multiple years, and is now making his play to see what the former dominant junior can do as a pro.

16. Ali Kaihep(16, ALG)

Already the highest-ranking Algerian in singles ever by a long ways, Kaihep made the semis in Madrid but didn't do a whole lot else in the big events. We'll see what he can do with better seeding.

17. Seamus Hughes(23, IRE)

Oh look, another young Irish player that I didn't report on last year and who is now making me look stupid.

19. Ugljesa Svajnovic(24, CRO)

27th last year. I said 'He should be at least Top 20, perhaps more'. I'm not often that dead-on, but I'll take it. Thanks for making me look good on at least one call.

20. Chalerm Prachuab(24, THA)

Actually down a couple spots from 18th, so might be treading water now.

21. Mike Rhodes(22, PHI)

Won a few 250s last year but still mostly Challengers on the resume. Didn't play a single slam, one Masters and 2 500s(going 1-3 in them). When is Mike going to grow up? He was 32nd a year ago though, so something he did worked.

23. Jacek Andrejova(24, CZE)

Up 8 spots and his schedule was at least arguable, with a lot of 250 success. Still, it'll be good to see him take a step up in competiton.

26. Benjamin Abanades(24, ESP)

About to become the top Spaniard over Cortina(25th), a thing that was once a prestigious distinction. Made the SF in Rome but had a very unspectacular resume elsewhere. Let's see if he grows more consistent.

27. Tomas Guadiana(25, ARG)

Another young player stuck in neutral, it seems.

28. Valery Stachovsky(22, RUS)

Say hello to Russia's next hope. Played mostly Challengers until late in the year, when he won St. Petersburg(250) and the Kremlin Cup(250). Both on home soil, it must be said. Young, unproven, definitely interesting and new.

31. Livio Kaspar(26, FRA)

Doesn't look like he'll amount to much, certainly not by Kaspar standards.

32. Cheng-ho Geng(25, USA)

An American name if ever I've seen one ... notably won three CH+ events in dominating that level, and runner-up in Kremlin Cup to Stachovsky.

Five players who are not yet 24, and six who are. The youth movement continues.

2037. Amrik Kasaravalli(18, SRI)

Welcome to the professional tour, AK - nah, not gonna go there. Finished last year 8th in juniors, which is more than I expected of him esp. considering he missed one of the Slam events. It'll be interesting how he compares to the benchmarks for getting through futures and challengers the next few seasons with his relatively low endurance and the adjusted training plan.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-03-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote