View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #406
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
actually my favorite quote along these lines is from PJ O Rourke:

"The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn.
The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

I think this has become even more relevant post-Bush.

Great quote from a great book.

I think the problem that we have with education in this country is not how much we spend on it. Memphis City Schools spend a lot more money per student than Shelby County Schools do, but who has the higher test scores and who has the better education? Those that went to Shelby County Schools.

The problem with teaching is how do you measure results and how do you measure the effectiveness of the teacher? If you have a teacher that has a bunch of behind the curve students and gets then fractionally behind where they should be, that is something that should be commended. However, that doesn't happen. Conversely, if a teacher has a bunch of standouts, and the kids wind up closer to the standard when she is done with them, that is a poor teaching job. Unfortunately, it is impossible to measure that. A simple grade or test does not adequately measure teaching performance. But what will?

I will say this, there is plenty o problims with publik edumacation, but mure monee for it izn't the problim.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote