Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #445
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

June Fundraising:

Obama: $52 million
McCain: $22 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
Guys, am I missing something here? Another thread perhaps? No mention of Jesse Jackson's "nuts" (I assume this forum is not too puritanical to mention that), no mention of Gramm's "whining" or "mental recession" and no mention of the New Yorker's cartoon of Obama and his wife as muslim and terrorist. None of it of any interest to this thread?

I think there might be some election fatigue going on at FOFC currently.

I'm glad to see Gramm's "whining" getting some play in the press. Obama followed-up by pointing out that Gramm's comment of a "mental recession", combined with McCain earlier admitting that most of his economic proposals for this summer were mainly "psychological" in manner means that neither really understand the pain people are going through this year.

I mean sure, Obama's fairly well-off now, but it wasn't too long ago that he was another guy who paid his bills, paid off his credit card, and pumped his own gas. McCain hasn't done any of this since at least as far back as when he married Cindy.

I have mixed feelings on the New Yorker cartoon. On one hand, I see what they were trying to do, but I'm not sure if you can effectively satirize something (in this case, the right wing smear machine) without portraying them in some way. On the other hand, a bunch of people have pointed out that if the cartoon reinforces some misguided notions about Obama, those people probably weren't going to vote for him anyway.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote