View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #450
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As president, you don't want to be taken advantage of because the worst thing that could happen is a dominate Congress.

Now I am confused. You are a libertarian. Seems to me you should be very against a strong federal executive and all for a strong Congress. Congress is a slow deliberative body. The President is one person who can actually get things done. A strong President vis a vis Congress means WAY more federal intervention in our lives.

The best situation, of course, is a Congress, President, and Judiciary that are in balance. In that situation, things coming out of the fed tend to take the longest and have some sort of a broad mandate supporting them (and, as an added bonus, are constitutional).

It seems that if one wants the most possible federal involvement in our day to day lives, then one wants a strong president and a neutered Congress and Supreme Court. In that case, anything from wiretaps, to federal involvement in family, tort, and property law, to tax increases can be zipped through without any occasion for anyone to object.

Or, now that I re-read your message, did you actually mean that the best thing for the President is to be a strong political player. Not the best thing for the Country?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote