View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #331
sabotai
General Manager

OW, MY NIPPLE!

I forgot about chaffing.

I tried to start the Couch-To-5K program tonight, but I guess I'm more out of shape than your average couch potato because I could not keep pace with the 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. I think I tried to go too fast at first, though. I think on my first 60 second jog, I was closer to "running" than simply "jogging".

There's also a little hill on the path that's nice to look at, but hell to jog up. I was pretty close to the top of the hill when I started my 3rd 60 second jog, but coming down the hill took quite a bit out of me as well. I'm not sure how to work around it except to always walk up and down it regardless of where I am at during the workout. It's not a big hill, so maybe once I lose some weight and get used to running, it'll be nothing to me. I saw a few people jogging pretty much nonstop around the path, so I'm sure they also went up and down the hill too.

Anyway, I could only go for 45 seconds that 3rd time, and then ended up doing 2 minutes of walking and then the 4th time another 45 seconds and I was done for about 3 minutes. I kept going, but I tried jogging for 60 seconds after I caught my breath, which usually took 2-3 minutes (closer to 3 than to 2), but most of the time only managed to jog for 45 seconds.

I worked out that in 20 minutes, that would be about 13 repetitions of 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking (the 20 minutes is up halfway through a 14th 60 second jog). I didn't want to push myself too much, so after it was apparent I wasn't going to be able to keep pace, I kept going until I made 10 attempts at jogging for 60 seconds, and I'd say 4 times I made it 60 seconds, 5 times to 45 seconds and once only 30 seconds. Actually, I don't think I counted the 30 second one, so make that 11 attempts with 6 times making it to 45 seconds.

So anyway, I'm going to keep trying, and the first time I do keep pace, I'll count that as Day 1.

I do feel like I got quite a workout, though. I was sweating like crazy and my legs are pretty weak right now, but I didn't feel dehydrated or ill at all (no light headedness, dizziness, etc.) I did start to get a cramp after the 4th attempt, but it went away.

There might be rain the next two days, so it's looking like Friday will be my next try.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote