View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #23
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

March 2015

Remember last month, when I said we'd have to content ourselves with another season in the Wessex Premier? I might have spoken too hastily. Four consecutive wins in March have brought us to within four points of the top of the league. With eight matches left on the programme, we are suddenly back in the race.

14 March: Andover 3-1 Brockenhurst
A resurgent Adam Hamilton banged in a brace, and Joe Clarke, who's been wearing the captain's arm band with Martin Parkin out of action, got a goal. But the star turn went to Adam Morton, who set up all three of our goals.

Mu Wood is presently assembling our 2015/16 team. This week he brought in a goalkeeper, Ross Boden. Ross is tall (6'4") and athletic, and he has very quick reflexes. I plan on having him split time between the posts with Jamie Overson for the remainder of the season. Overson has been very good, but Boden could be even better.

Mu also found a dandy forward, Jamie Tew. His calling cards are pace and versatility; he can play anywhere in the attacking half of the pitch. At age 25, he's in his prime. What's more, he signed for an economical £25/week.

Both Boden and Tew made their debuts in this match.

17 March: Blackfield & Langley 1-4 Andover
This match was postponed from the 7th due to a waterlogged pitch. I'm just superstitious enough to be anxious about facing a team that wears green and white hoops on St. Patrick's Day. Loanee wide man Bryn Haynes relieved my tensions with a hat trick. Fifteen people came out to watch the action on a cold, dreary day. The Watersiders are almost certainly going to be relegated, so perhaps the lack of support isn't surprising.

21 March: Fawley 1-2 Andover
It took fourteen seconds for Bryn Haynes to put us on top, rifling in a volley that hit the crossbar and the upright on its way into the net. The Oilers drew level, and for a long time it looked like a draw was the most likely result. Alan Morton had other ideas. He rose up and headed home Jamie Tew's cross on 89 minutes, and we went home with three more points. For the first time, it seemed like a team was content to sit back, absorb pressure from us, and play for a draw. I often struggle trying to break down teams that play this way against us. We'll see if it continues to happen.

Morton signed a new contract with us, which keeps him in Andover blue for another season.

24 March: Andover 1-0 Christchurch
The Priory are a good side, seventh in the league, and they played a much more ambitious style against us than Fawley had. We generated a number of chances, and Adam Hamilton finally found the net on 80 minutes.

Another new addition made his Andover debut in this match. Our right back, player/assistant manager Charlie Webb, is 38 now, and while he can still do a job, his days are probably numbered. Mark Fleury, fifteen years younger, will be his likely successor. Mark lacks Charlie's defensive savvy right now, but he is fast and technically skilled.

I also picked sixteen-year-old Graeme Marsh for the bench today. Graeme earned his opportunity by banging in five goals in three matches for the Under 18s. I got Graeme about 25 minutes of playing time, and he responded well. His pace created some problems for the Christchurch defenders, and the post denied him his first goal for the senior team.

The day after the Christchurch match, I signed a contract extension that will keep me at Portway Stadium through the 2015/16 season. Whether we go up or not, I'm excited about what the future holds for the club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (58.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 06-05-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote