View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #74
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Offseason 2016

I progressed too far in my game to recover the detailed stat report from 2016, so I'll apologize in advance to any of you who really enjoy perusing the numbers.

Our supporters chose Roy Murphy as their Player of the Year again; he was their choice in 2014, and finished second to Kieron Russell last year. His defensive performance was as solid as ever, and those 8 goals attest to his prowess on set pieces. Roy won his third consecutive Young Player of the Year award, and he was also named League of Ireland Player of the Year.

Glen Scully was runner-up in the Young Player of the Year balloting. He pulled the strings in midfield for us with the poise of a veteran, and he's still only 18. His 10 assists were second on the team.

Scully's emergence allowed me to move Gareth Kearney to the right wing, where he demonstrated the ability to both score goals and set up his teammates. No player in Ireland matched his 16 assists in all competitions. I backed Gareth for the Premier Division Player of the Year award, but he finished second to Anthony O'Neill, the Longford striker who led the league in goals with 22.

Our other double-figure scorers were Patrick Lynch and Declan Coughlan, both contributing 11 goals. Lynch took less time to reach that mark, and several of his goals were scintillating displays of individual talent. Coughlan tended to be a streaky scorer, finding the net in several consecutive matches before misplacing his scoring boots for several more.

We missed Kenneth Díaz after he left for England at the July transfer deadline. I think Stephen O'Callaghan will be a worthy replacement, but he hasn't established himself yet. His primary contribution came via his long throws, which resulted in several goals for us. Murphy and Sean Glynn, both good in the air, benefited from his deliveries.

Aaron O'Connor provided his usual presence in front of our defense, and his accurate passing (he led the league with an 88% completion percentage) allowed us to build effectively from the back. Barry Asher, who arrived in July, impressed me with his abilities as a holding midfielder, too. Barry's presence might allow me to employ Aaron farther up the pitch next season.

Captain Pasquale Van Daele struggled with a series of minor injuries and struggled for fitness all summer and fall. When he was available, he played as well as ever, but I need to find a player who can cover effectively for him before next season begins.

I saved our goalkeeper, Darcy Bradford, for last. Darcy took his lumps in European competition, but that says more about the strength of our opponents than it does about any weakness of Darcy's. In 30 league matches, he conceded only 21 goals and kept 16 clean sheets. He was voted Premier Division Goalkeeper of the Year, after finishing second last season. Darcy is what every manager is looking for in a number one.

Four Tribesmen were named to the Premier Division Team of the Year:

I was chosen Manager of the Year for the second straight season, too.

Now it's off to 2017. I hope you'll all come along for the ride.

Last edited by Greyfriars Bobby : 07-05-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote