View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #77
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

Decision time: should I stay or should I go?

10 May 2017

I started receiving invitations to apply for other jobs during my second year at Galway United. I paid very little attention to most of them. I've always been very happy here, and the process of building the Tribesmen into, arguably, the top club in Ireland has been a lot of fun and very rewarding.

At the same time, there's a nagging sense that I've accomplished just about as much as I can here at Galway United. We're well on our way to becoming the biggest club in Ireland, if we're not already there. We've won the league, and played some European football.

Today, an interesting job notice arrived in my inbox. A Dutch club, FC Den Bosch, has invited me to interview for their managerial job. My managerial character is Dutch, so some interest from a club in Holland makes sense. I'm tempted to accept the invitation.

Here are the things I like about Den Bosch:
  • Holland is a bigger nation with a better football tradition than Ireland.
  • Den Bosch's wage budget is bigger than Galway United's.
  • Den Bosch's facilities are probably better than Galway United's.
  • Den Bosch play in the Jupiler League, which is Holland's second league. They have room to grow into a bigger club.
  • Den Bosch would provide me with a new challenge.

Here are Galway United's advantages:
  • Galway United are already playing in Europe, while Den Bosch are a long way away from that point.
  • Galway United is probably a bigger club than Den Bosch is right now.
  • I'm listed among Galway United's Favoured Personnel. It would be fun to become an Icon or a Legend there.
  • Galway United's finances are more secure than Den Bosch's are.'
  • Galway United has been fun to manage, and they're familiar.

Now I'm wondering what I should do. What do you think? Let me know.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote