View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #85
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

17 September 2017

Our progress in the European Champions Cup put €2.1 million into our bank account, and as we're moving into the Group Stage of the EURO cup now, we've banked another €1.3 million. Our cash balance is now almost €5.8 million, which is huge for an Irish club.

Speaking of the EURO Cup, look at that group! I have no illusions of making it to the knockout stage, but it will still be fun to take the pitch against another assortment of some of Europe's most illustrious teams.

I've used the League Cup and Senior Challenge Cup as opportunities to rotate the squad. I realized I hadn't given my "cup warriors" the credit they deserve. Pasquale Van Daele, in particular, has been impressive, with a hat trick in each of the competitions. PVD has lost his place in our first eleven to Colin Fearn, but he is still our captain and he's handled his new role with professionalism and class.

PVD will be among the strong, positive personalities I hope will help shape the development of our newest youth class. Here they are:

Owen Gaffney might be the star pupil. He's a flair player, a slick passer with a silky first touch. Owen isn't terribly interested in things like marking or tackling, but he's a fairly hard worker.

Then again, Owen might not be the most promising player in the class at his position. Chris Feeney is a very similar player, a creative force in the middle of the park. My staff tell me looks forward to big matches, and his determination is higher than Owen's.

Ole Morten Reinum, who guided their development in our youth program, rates Conor Cretaro as the best prospect in the group. He's a nippy forward with a poacher's instinct. Some of our coaches point out his inconsistency, his one-footedness, and his selfishness. Conor is far from a polished player, but Reinum says the potential is there.

It doesn't look like a very deep class, and the three most promising players are a long way from the first team. And, none of the three look like they're great fits for my system. Only time will tell.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote