View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So far, per usual, I'm just simulating and reporting out. The nice thing about picking the distant past is that I can sim for years, build some history and then dive in at some point when I feel like it.

My current idea is one I've long harbored in this game, which is, taking over a small conference and recruiting for all the teams and running different offensive/defensive systems. This isn't that different from playing in an online league, except I haven't played in an online league with my weird settings and with ADs willing to crank up the weirdness.

The last part would also being in a state with enough recruits that you could plausibly recruit more "home grown" kids to keep stuff interesting. For this purpose, I'd probably have the game generate more international students and then move all of them to whatever state/region I select as I did a few years ago, because that seemed to work pretty well -- since it's very tedious otherwise to create recruits in this game -- because if you pick a state that's big enough to have a deep recruiting pool, it likely already has too many schools to make it fun to start there.

So basically a Solesimic 8 conference but for FBCB and where you can recruit and see how interesting things can get over time. Wyoming is an easy place to select -- a state that's won a national title, only one university still [every other state in this universe has at least two universities in D1, even Alaska where I brought up UAA and UAF and Hawaii has Hilo...] and it's a place I know really well, so I can imagine the recruiting situation plausibly.

I have 7 community colleges to choose from in Wyoming to elevate to D1. Plus few D2 schools like Chadron State, Nebraska-Kearney, Black Hills State and maybe Montana State-Billings. I've already created CU Colorado Springs, Colorado School of Mines and Metro State [who I renamed Denver State because fuck DU for blocking that...] so you'd only need a few more schools [not Wyoming] to form a conference. You really only have the Mountain West and Big Sky, there's no "WCC/Big East" allegory for the Mountain West, so this would give you that.

Looks like I've figured out where I'm doing this, now. We'll just need to figure out the schools. I'd prefer not to create too many more schools, so we might just get creative and use programs I've already got in-game like Denver, Nebraska-Omaha and others that'd fit the regional footprint of this Mountain Plains Conference or whatever we're gonna call it.

Some possible members that already exist:
Quote:
Denver State
Colorado Mines
Northern Colorado
Denver U.
Nebraska-Omaha
Fort Hays State
CU Colorado Springs
CSU Pueblo
Central Washington

In theory, that'd give you some variation of 9 schools, if we create a 10th school for Wyoming that works for me, but I've been forcing leagues to have at least 12 teams. If I wanted to expand the footprint without having to add more programs, I have my eye on some very outside of the geographic footprint but sufficiently weird programs like New Orleans and Chicago State that would get me to 11, then Wyoming A&M or whatever becomes the 12th program.

So after this season, we'll embark. I don't know if I'll actually do the whole "take over everything program" thing because recruiting is kind of a bitch. But I can do the generate more international recruits, move them to the States to the area where our teams are and then try to recruit them and turn a moribund program into a powerhouse.

The real hitch here is, normally when I've done these stories, the whole idea is to move the program to a power league if they are every successful. This time, I'm intending for them to just stick it out in the whatever Cheyenne River League this ends up being.

Stay tuned.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote