View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #56
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
You are slaughtering... maybe you should have signed the LS to half cap contract and simmed a couple years to truly get in trouble.. :P

Yeah, I mean, the challenge aspect of the cap crunch is definitely annoying me thoroughly and creating a lot of tedium. We're overwhelmingly talented because I keep crushing the draft every year. I think I underestimated just how much more talented we are. Eyeballing even the good teams, and you're looking at 6-10 guys who are future rated 60+ by my scout. We're carrying 28 right now and bottoming out the rest of our roster in the 50s and mid 40s.

We're running a complete mess at QB who might grow into a neutral situation bottom 3rd starter or something. And we have limited cohesion, guys still developing, etc. We've had some mildly positive chemistry going. Trying to avoid conflicts, fixing on the fly to sprinkle in some good vibes without descending into long term planning stuff. (And apologies for the long quote response, Chas, really just talking to any/everyone who's skimming through here.)

I think we're helping on the gameplanning front, or I thought we were until I checked other rosters. I'd like to keep tweaking and focusing there. I don't really want this to morph exactly into a "what can I do with cripple QBs and monster rosters" neverending story. I think that probably means bagging the cap crunch aspect at some point in favor of something simpler. Maybe some kind of 3 Dragons gimmick where we're only adding 3 rookies a year. I really am trying to learn some things and I think I'm stretching into an environment that is a little too unique the further we let this drift into a no cohesion draft crushing churn. I'm not sure anything we learn about gameplanning in this setup is applicable in more normal settings basically.

So we've got a roster in place I've got some attachment to, which is always a good start. I think I'll run this offseason like this:

-3 Dragons, we add three guys from the 4th round of the draft. I think that's the sweet spot of where I can still get mid tier LBs (hell yes), there's an occasional starter quality QB, but the true 70+ type talent is picked through.

-Can reneg anyone with at least 2 years left on a contract. Forcing earlier decisions I guess.

-Nothing in FA1 but we can do whatever in FA2. I'm pretty sure it's a wasteland in SP but if we're killing it here in the future we'll revisit. I see this as depth/leaders/roster fitting. And probably a few UDRs every year.

-No more franchising/trades, beyond what we do to basically pick at 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 every year.

Cool. We can let Blackledge chase 171 sacks. Do other weird stuff. Talk about the little men in the computer like they're my friends, etc. #COVID19
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote