View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #60
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
There's this sort of funny cat and mouse game in the background of FOF, right?

Developer creates an element that matches up with something in real football. Deion Sanders plays a season or two part time at wide receiver. Users suggest this sort of thing needs to be present in a football sim. Two weeks after the game is released, some assclown is out here running a dynasty thread with a 4,500 yard receiver because for some reason him playing every down at CB is helping and not hurting his endurance, or whatever.

So, with reverses. We know it's kind hard to hit the nail on the head with "familiarity" - a concept we want to mirror what we'd expect a real NFL coaching staff to do, if they were to see (or even scout) an opponent that has overbearing tendencies. That seems, for whatever reason, to be hard to model in this game. Now if you give me the keys to the car for gameplanning, and you give me a chance at putting a WR reverse in as one of my plays as a high-risk high-reward thing... it's just a matter of time until I (or more likely some other asshat) ends up running 40 reverses a game, for 120 points on 700 yards, because or reasons. So, the safest thing for the developer to do, it seems, is put the reverse as an ingredient into the game... neuter it so it really is just for show... and move on to another programming subroutine.

Yeah no doubt. The game is littered with all kinds of "should I care about this because it's here" stuff. I think reverses are probably the window dressing you're talking about. Unfortunately, the window dressing stuff tends to be less robust at times if there is an effect. And you can find some ways to get the game outside its comfort zone and suddenly that effect becomes powerful. I wouldn't have even messed with this if I didn't see it in some IHOF gamelogs. If somebody having success is doing something, try it on. Oakland runs slot reverse out of 014t multiple times per game, and they're a good offense. Oh the slot guy is an RB. Ok, so we've got multiple layers of somebody making quirky little decisions and they're having success. It's pretty clear this isn't the key driver of their success but whatever. It's fun to chase it down a little and see what shakes out.

tzach does a bunch of cool stuff. He's got a stud WR in an RB spot in the depth chart. You can't even do that in SP as far as I can tell. I'm assuming he position changed the guy, slotted him in the spot, deleted the position change from the edit export screen, and the dude just crushes out of the backfield as a receiver. I love it, that's hilarious.

I like that gameplanning/play construction/etc is out in the open at least. If you're bored enough to stare into the tedium for awhile, you can pick out a lot of interesting things. Staring at tedium is kind of my thing though, so your mileage may vary, etc.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote