View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
Rawhide
High School Varsity

[Background Music]
[Distant Scenes of Players Warming Up]

NARRATOR: Two hundred years ago, the American colonies rose up in revolution against their English masters. Now, the roles are reversed, and it's a different kind of revolution.

[Players performing starjumps]

NARRATOR: One fought not with muskets, but with x's and o's.

[Head Coach KC Beckam examines a board with strategies, adds several lines with a thick marker]

BECKAM: Tiger-shoot-left-45-zee, let's see if they can pick it up tomorrow.

[Cue to the practice field]

QUARTERBACK MITCH BLUNDIN: Right, the play is tiger-shoot-left-45-zee, on three. [Claps hands]. Leggo!

[Blundin stands behind centre, calling the play]

BLUNDIN: Tiger! Shoot! Tiger tiger! Aw shit! [Editor's note: edit swearing in final release]

[Blundin drops the snap and the defense recovers, KC Beckam throws clipboard to the ground]

BECKAM: Aw goddamit Mitch!

NARRATOR: The revolution may take some time to ferment, but there seems little doubt that the Monarchs plan on being the Kings of the National Football League one day.

[Closeup to General Manager Jack Hayden, sitting in his office]

HAYDEN: We've been dealt a tough assignment this year but we're confident of finishing the season with at least 2 wins. It will take us a while to build a quality NFL roster but we're confident of bringing success to this side of the Atlantic.

[Close out with music, transition to next scene in Mexico City...]

=====

MONARCHS WIN!
Eagles falter in final drive

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The London Monarchs struck a blow against the critics of the newly-internationalised National Football League by winning their first ever game in franchise history, upsetting the Philadelphia Eagles at Veterans Stadium 17-16.

Trailing 16-3 in the final quarter, the first Monarchs touchdown was scored by running back Tom Brennan on a 5 yard rush. The London team then took the lead with an interception return touchdown by cornerback Ray Jenkins.

The Eagles had their chances to win, missing a 43 yard field goal, and then turning the ball over on downs during their final drive. Philadelphia's notorious fans booed the team off the field, irate that they lost to a bunch of scrubs.

Earlier in the day, the Washington Redskins beat Barcelona Dragons 42-10 in the first NFL game played outside of the United States. Joe Thiesmann threw for 421 yards and 4 touchdowns. Fellow expansion brothers Toronto Huskies lost their home opener 27-17 to Cincinnati. Two other expansion teams got a maiden win in their first outing: Seattle beat Green Bay 31-14 at home, while Tampa Bay beat Mexico City 27-10.

----

Excerpt from Head Coach KC Beckam press conference at RFK Stadium, September 19 1976:

REPORTER: What were the positives of today's loss, Coach?

BECKAM: Nobody got killed. That's a positive, I suppose.

REPORTER: The rushing game?

BECKAM: Diabolical. We can't rush at all. Eleven yards? That's generous from the statisticians.

-----

Everything from this point on is non-canon - as explained in a future post, I failed to save the game after Week 2 of the 1976 season, and essentially lost a whole season of writing. I don't feel like deleting everything though, so will put the "lost game reports" from 1976 into its own threads and start afresh in 1977. Hope this suits!
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 03-23-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote