View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1978 Season Summary

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 31
Oakland Raiders 18
The reigning Super Bowl champions bow out to the Steelers, who have gone 18-0 so far this season, and 35-1 since the start of last year.

NFC Championship Game
New York Giants 31
St Louis Cardinals 15
The Cardinals qualify as a 7-9 division winner (the NFC West was poor as well, meanwhile 10-6 Green Bay and 10-6 Detroit both miss out on the playoffs). St Louis catch fire in the playoffs, smashing Washington 27-0 and upsetting the Bears 24-14, they fall at the final hurdle.

Super Bowl XIII
Pittsburgh Steelers 26
New York Giants 20
Extra Time

The Giants shock the world by pushing the Steelers all the way in what many expected would be a coronation of the NFL's second unbeaten Super Bowl champions. Ron Jaworski comes up huge on the game's first play, an 80 yard touchdown pass, and ties the game late. Terry Bradshaw takes the ball in overtime and never gives it back, completing a pass to Theo Bell for the winning score.

Season Awards
MVP - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Too Tall Jones (Dallas Cowboys LDE)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Earl Campbell (Philadelphia Eagles RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Tom Pridemore (Green Bay Packers SS)

We have our first All-League player! Punter Billy Van Heusen had an enormous 6365 yards on the season.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote