View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #34
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1983 Wild Card Game
London Monarchs (10-6) at New England Patriots (9-7)

The Pats are our first playoff opponents in history.

They have a quick start to the game, scoring a field goal on their first drive and forcing a three-and-out. Steve Grogan appears to find Don Bass for a 28 yard touchdown reception on the ensuring drive, but it is called back for illegal use of the hands.

Just before halftime, Mark Murphy forces a Grogan fumble and rookie linebacker Karl Meckenberg recovers to give us possession in the midfield. We can't do anything with it though, and when we give up a fumble of our own, the Patriots capitalise straight away, going up 10-0.

We back New England up in the shadows of halftime, and Montana only requires two passes to find Drew Hill for our first post-season score. The Pats get a field goal before the break and lead by six.

Midway through the third quarter, Gerg Wilson (a foundation player) reduces the gap back to three with a 46 yard field goal. On the final play of the third, Steve Grogan throws his second touchdown pass, and the lead is back to ten. It is a lead the Patriots would not surrender, sacking Montana three times in the final quarter as drive after drive ends in futility.

Code:
1Q: 12:32 NE - John Smith 42 field goal 2Q: 07:55 NE - George Rogers 48 pass from Steve Grogan (John Smith extra point) 2Q: 01:18 LON - Drew Hill 15 pass from Joe Montana (Gerg Wilson extra point) 2Q: 00:24 NE - John Smith 35 field goal 3Q: 06:55 LON - Gerg Wilson 46 field goal 3Q: 00:01 NE - George Rogers 11 pass from Steve Grogan (John Smith extra point)

AFC Championship Game
Pittsburgh Steelers 20
Baltimore Colts 16

NFC Championship Game
Chicago Bears 21
Seattle Seahawks 19
Former Seahawks QB Danny White gets the ultimate revenge for being dumped in favour of Dan Fouts, steering the Bears back to the Super Bowl!

Super Bowl XVIII
Pittsburgh Steelers 30
Chicago Bears 25
The Steelers establish a 27-6 lead at the halftime break and hang on to win their fifth Super Bowl.

NFL Awards
MVP - Bob Avellini (San Diego Chargers QB)
Super Bowl MVP - Terry Bradshaw (Pittsburgh Steelers QB)
Offensive Player of the Year - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Defensive Player of the Year - Joel Williams (San Francisco 49ers SLB)
Offensive Rookie of the Year - Eric Dickerson (Houston Oilers RB)
Defensive Rookie of the Year - Byron Darby (New England Patriots RDE)

Dickerson had a tremendous year, gaining 1688 yards and 9 touchdowns, and another 700 yards in receiving.

Two Monarchs players earn the eye of the All-League team judges. Wilson Whitley gets First Team defensive tackle, while Joe Montana is Second Team quarterback.

Overall, a pleasing season!
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote