View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #1010
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Race to the World Tour Finals
Initial post-Wimbledon edition

It's that time of the season again. We're about 60% of the way through '66, and it's worth taking a gander at who the top players have been this calendar year.

In

John Hart - 8,790
Nicolas Perez - 7,300
Calisto Aviles - 3,110

Three Slams, three champions. Of course Aviles would not be here without the auto-bid for winning RG. Hart has the clear inside track on the year-end #1, but he definitely has work to do yet to secure it.

Probable

Brian Meikeljohn - 4150
Seamus Hughes - 3725
Ali Solberg - 2850

There's a lot of questions about the usual suspects. Meikeljohn going AWOL is just one of the aspects leaving more spots potentially open. Really the only player here that we can be confident will eventually make it is Hughes.

Contenders

Mike Rhodes - 2710
Srba Dogic - 2595
------------------------
Isa Solheim - 2575
Barry Molyneaux - 2535
Ollie Haas - 2535
Lucas Perez - 2380

Look at that. The world no. 4, recently no. 3, is on the outside looking in at the moment. He has work to do in Cincy and Flushing Meadows to rectify this situation. And we've got a packed crowd here as expected: six players fighting for two spots, and Solberg isn't far ahead. Who wants to take a stab at who makes it? I'm not even gonna try - just going to sit back and enjoy the fireworks with peanuts and popcorn. This should be one heck of a ride.

Long Shots

Emilien Mathou - 2055
Valery Stachovsky - 1895
Sushant Chiba - 1890
Harald Balzer - 1730
Tim de Jong - 1710
Chisulo Mpakati - 1675

I don't see this group mounting a threat, just because of the mass ahead of them. It's interesting to see their relative accomplishments to date, and maybe Mathou has a remote shot. Wouldn't bet on it though - I think most of these names aren't in range anymore by the time we revisit this in the fall.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote